View Single Post
      10-06-2018, 05:50 AM   #7
forgetitla
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Hi, I own and owned quite a few BMW's, and usually I do my own work on these cars, I also have the BMW software. So I'm not sure if stuff like Carly will work.

On my previous X5 (e53) I did the transfer case fluid change. I did that also on my daughter's X3 (e83) and the f25. On all these models I changed the transfer case fluid following TIS.
You need the original BMW fluid (it's not cheap), and a 2 new copper ring gaskets for fill & drain plug if I remeber correctly. The transfer case takes a bit more than 1qt, so you need to order 2 qts. The procedure is trivial. But once the fluid is replaced you need to reset the transfer case - basically you tell it that it has new fluid. The t-case will re-adapt for the new fluid (it will perform different than with old fluid - basically in like-new state). Torque values for fill plug & drain plug is 24-25 Nm.

This is actually a needed maintenance procedure for x-drives (I believe it's a 60k interval) - as the fluid ages, the car's t-case gradually performs different and in time, the clutches will begin to slip and the actuator will start to be overstressed. This will eat your tires and strip that plastic/teflon wormgear.

In all cases the t-case fluid that came out was black. New is yellow-orange.

Once new fluid is in, as I said above you NEED to reset/re-adapt the transfer case for the new fluid. With the laptop this takes less than 5 minutes. Not sure how much the fluid is in the US, I paid close to 80 bux/qt at dealership if I remember correctly. Also not sure how much stealer will charge for this maintenance. Total time (lifting/drain-refill/lowering/software readapt) is about 1/2 hr - 45 min tops

Hope this helps
I am trying to change the transfer case fluid for the first time. Can you give detail how to reset the software and what tool requires?

Do we need to reset software when changing transmission fluid and differential fluids?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0