Thread: Transfer Case
View Single Post
      12-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Hi, I own and owned quite a few BMW's, and usually I do my own work on these cars, I also have the BMW software. So I'm not sure if stuff like Carly will work.

On my previous X5 (e53) I did the transfer case fluid change. I did that also on my daughter's X3 (e83) and the f25. On all these models I changed the transfer case fluid following TIS.
You need the original BMW fluid (it's not cheap), and a 2 new copper ring gaskets for fill & drain plug if I remeber correctly. The transfer case takes a bit more than 1qt, so you need to order 2 qts. The procedure is trivial. But once the fluid is replaced you need to reset the transfer case - basically you tell it that it has new fluid. The t-case will re-adapt for the new fluid (it will perform different than with old fluid - basically in like-new state). Torque values for fill plug & drain plug is 24-25 Nm.

This is actually a needed maintenance procedure for x-drives (I believe it's a 60k interval) - as the fluid ages, the car's t-case gradually performs different and in time, the clutches will begin to slip and the actuator will start to be overstressed. This will eat your tires and strip that plastic/teflon wormgear.

In all cases the t-case fluid that came out was black. New is yellow-orange.

Once new fluid is in, as I said above you NEED to reset/re-adapt the transfer case for the new fluid. With the laptop this takes less than 5 minutes. Not sure how much the fluid is in the US, I paid close to 80 bux/qt at dealership if I remember correctly. Also not sure how much stealer will charge for this maintenance. Total time (lifting/drain-refill/lowering/software readapt) is about 1/2 hr - 45 min tops

Hope this helps
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0