View Single Post
      10-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Actually its 6.6% ...

I haven't been able to compare the VDC to Standard or Sport suspension options in a side by side comparison, but I can say that I love the drive of my X3 with VDC. I drive my 35D very positively and have never found a need to switch the suspension into "Sport Mode". The car is a dream over pot holes, speed humps, country tracks and motorway with regular or positive driving alike. Its a very smooth car ... of course, it's possible that its just as nice without VDC!

After the event, my dealer was telling me about a simulator they have in Germany to show the difference between the different options. It's a platform you stand on and it shows you the sensation of various road conditions with the 3 suspension options from recorded sessions over various conditions. He noted that the difference was quite considerable.

To be clear, VDC is not comparable to Sport or Standard suspension choices ... it's completely different.

A friend of mine who has an Evoque, they have my sympathies, swears by the MagneRide suspension and they did a side by side on the Evoque. I don't think VDC is advanced as MagneRide, but its a similar idea.

I imagine that like many things you would not miss it if you hadn't got used to it, at the end of the day a car is just a car, but if you can afford it and you want the best your BMW can be, it probably wouldn't hurt to have it.

Will your car drive without it ... sure, will your ride be smoother with it ... probably.

There are a number of premium options that people don't go for and it surprises me, but then I guess at the end of the day it comes down to money.

The only options I regret wasting any time or energy over over were 6NR and Internet, both are utterly useless.

... I have a horrible feeling that I lost my cubby hole (Extended Storage Option) because of 6NR ... if that't case it's a double travesty! ... That said it might have been because of the HUD ... in which case I guess it's ok ...

On the other hand, the TV option has exceeded my wildest expectations.

Top View is fantastic and makes all the difference parking.

The HUD is not essential either, but I love having it ... especially for Sat Nav so you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

As for VDC, I am really happy with the drive and just love driving the car.

Looking at the purchase spread, I realise I am not a typical buyer, so I am not sure how helpful my opinions are.

I guess if you have it you are either one of the "Elite" ... or maybe just a mug.

Either way, its a great car.
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0