View Single Post
      10-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Q5 is a stunningly beautiful automobile - well equipped, similar priced. however its no match for the X3 in handling, and neither Q5 engine comes close to the 35i engine.

i had a 328xi wagon before this, wanted something a little bigger, little faster, and more options. BMW maintenance for 50k and the resale value of my 328xi kept w/ in the family. Only 1 feature on the X5 i would want is the 35d engine, but in the end its bigger than what i want - the size of the X3 is just right for my needs.

I have to admit i only compared the X3 to the Q5 extensively - and I looked at the EX35 (infiniti) its sized more like an X1 imho. too small, comes with mixed mode tires only and the salesman was the most pressure seller i've ever dealt with. didn't look at LR2 or XC60 over lack of interest and didn't look at the GLK because its ugly and members of my family have had some very bad luck w/ Mercedes in the past few years.

I tried, really tried to like the Q5, but i can tell you the sharp highway onramp during my last test drive - the exact spot where I decided the steering sucks to the point of dropping the Q5 from consideration. I test drove 3 @ Q5's a 2.0T with no miles on it (under 100) - a 3.2 demo model w/ 3500 miles - and at another dealer a 2.0T that was a sales managers ride also with over 3000 miles on it. The fact that the steering felt alot looser on both Q5's with 3000 miles than the 3rd Q5 that had no miles was of huge concern to me. 2.0T engine is great in the A4, little too much lag for the Q5.

I've had the X3 coming up on 3 weeks, no regrets at all.
Appreciate 0