07-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #35
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
I know this issue has been addressed in early threads, but it’s been one of those days and the lag happened again today, so I feel compelled to comment. I was previously in the camp of “you learn to adapt to the car”. But now I’m not. I grew up in the car culture of SoCal and in over 40 years of driving cars from Porsches to Tractor Trailers and everything in between; I find the throttle response to be the worst of any car I’ve driven. I find this car difficult to drive smoothly. To me, it’s the inconsistently of the response. Sometimes it’s no problem, other times you keep pushing and pushing. The worst for me has been, including today, is going uphill, pushing on the accelerator and no response. I have about 3K miles on a 28i and things are still the same, although the SP mode is better. I love the car, but this bugs the sh*t out of me so badly that if there was another car that fit my needs/wants as well as the X3 I would take a hard look at it.
I've had to do a lot of driving in the last three days in all kinds of traffic and I've been really paying a lot of attention to this. If I was to quantify this for driving smoothness I would say that 98% of the time it is "smooth", whereas other cars I've driven would be 99%+. This all occurs at very slow to slow speeds. My uphill acceleration problem is happening when I turn on to a moderate hill from a stop or very slow speed. It's probably caused by a combination slow throttle response by me and a slow downshift by the transmission. It happen again this morning, but this afternoon I gave it a hard pedal response and didn't have the problem.
Appreciate 0