View Single Post
      08-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think if there was a significant increase in danger by driving in mild winters * with summer tyres, it would a legal requirement to switch to winter tyres, as it is in many parts of Northern Europe. Who knows, it might become a legal requirement in the UK but I doubt it ever will. E.g. it's a legal requirement in Poland where I spend a lot of time but it is so much colder there and you're guaranteed a lot of snow every winter. Even their airports work in the snow!

* I'm thinking south of England here, I might get them or at least consider them if I lived in Scotland and regularly saw snow. If you ignore the last couple of winters, I used to see maybe one day of snow a year and it was all gone a day later.

I also take your point on early morning driving and appreciate you'll see more ice but I don't think a 7% improvement in stopping distance is a good enough reason. You could get a much better safety margin by just driving more slowly in freezing conditions IMO

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0