08-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Whilst "winter tyres" are what they are called, they are defined for all weathers below 7C (so should be called under 7C tyres") and are much grippier on wet as well as snow below that temp. Check out the details here: http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Why...1_May_2011.pdf Put another way, if you read up on most "summer" tyres you will find they are not recommended in the UK Oct to Mar. Fact is in Uk most folks drive all year on tyres that those who make them say are not as safe 5 months of the year. Most of Northern Europe use 2 sets per year. My view is that with 4 wheels all driving plus all the fancy electronic gizmos on the X3 plus to allow you to apply the power of the 3.0d winter tyres make sense. Plus they could save you fuel, keep you moving and maybe save your neck.
I would argue that the data in that article backs up my reason for not getting them. The only significant improvement in braking distance is on snow/ice which I rarely ever see where I live. The improvement on wet roads at 5C is only 7% (5% when you add thinking distance) which is insignificant IMO, and they make braking distance longer on dry roads.

In Berkshire, the average daytime max temp is about 8C through the winter months, average min 2-3C. Most of northern europe see a lot more snow and ice than the UK because they're not on an island in the gulf stream

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0