06-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #159
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
Great pics LedZep! Thanks for posting these! They both look great! Hey so now that you have some time with the X3, if you had a choice which one would you choose and why? Come on give it up for us!
Hmmm.... this is a tough one and no matter which I "choose", I would probably change my mind over and over. Maybe I'll try it based on categories:

Fit & Finish: Fairly comparable actually, but the X5 is much more refined in terms of materials. Slightly better leather, 'padded' vinyl in the lower cabin, better interior lighting, etc. But to adjust for price difference I would rate them evenly here.

Performance: My X5 is a 3.0, so the X3 wins hands down and then some. Not just for power, quickness, and speed but also for nimble handling and "3-like" feel.

Looks: Again, a close match and very subjective. Slight edge to the X5, because there is just no such thing as a bad angle of the E70. However, there are elements of the X3 that are unique and beautiful too. The X3 really loses most of its points here due to the after-thought headlight design.

Comfort & Convenience: Advantage, X5. This should be no surprise really. But add that my X5 has the comfort seats, memory adjusted steering wheel (that moves up and in when ignition is turned off), reclining and forward-backward adjustable rear seats... well you get the picture. Also, being larger and heavier, it rides very smooth and is perfect for long trips.l

Technology: Advantage X3 by a considerable margin. Caveat that the X5 is almost two years old and takes a tech hit just for that, the X3 has much better technology such as the top view cameras, 6NR functionality, LCD instrument panel....

In the end, it's like asking someone which child they love the most. The X3 does still have the "new" factor going for it too. All that said, and knowing you'll give me grief if I don't actually pick one - if we were replacing the X5 tomorrow, I'd lean heavily toward replacing it with another X3.

But - if money was no object, it would be the X5M on both sides of the garage!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0