View Single Post
      08-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I consider it an anomaly because, first, it's certainly not an expected or "normal" behavior, and secondly, for those impatient drivers who put their auto transmission cars (all US models) in gear 50 ms after the engine starts, the high-speed "racing" could result in some quite unexpected acceleration of the vehicle.

Considering the problems Toyota recently has had and those of Audi (years ago) for bad press from "unintended acceleration" that never really existed (all cases were finally identified as driver error). BMW might want to address this "issue" before some greedy lawyer finds out about it.

It's not something that I find is a problem, since I can wait the 20 seconds it takes to settle down, but there are those who expect their car to be fully functional withing 1 second of start up. Witness the "race" to be first out of most commuter parking lots 15 seconds after the 5:29 arrives.
How can there be unintended acceleration when the brake pedal has to be pressed when shifting from park?
Appreciate 0