03-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #26
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
I wonder if there are any failures of these in the N52 engine?
It looks like those are similar failures as on the N54 engine.
N/a engines have different injectors and the OCI seems to be OK at 7,000 miles or so. The oil in turbo engines start getting black even after 2k miles or so. Not sure if this is a "cause" or not, but I started to change the oil in the N54 a tad sooner. Concerning cooling (WP & T-stat) I think both the small 4banger and the 6 turbo run hotter than the i6 n/a, plus the i6 n/a has the aluminum case WP as opposed to plastic housing on the turbo 6. Not sure what material the 4 turbo has.
The 6 turbo, if the sparks are left too long - where 60 k miles is BMW change interval for 6 turbo - it will take down the injectors. On my N54 the injectors were gone right after I changed the plugs at 61k miles - that's when I purchased the car. So I think even 60 k might be a stretch.
Last year I purchased my X3 with the i6 (N52) and I changed the plugs right after the purchase - car had around 60k miles as well. The original plugs had only a small stubble left - that's how bad they were. Car was not misfiring, but after the plug change, fuel consumption improved. Again, next time I will change them sooner.
VCG and OFHG go faster on the turbo cars as well, plus the gazillion rubber vacuum tubes - all changed with silicon titanium laced hoses. Plus a few other minor "improvements like the aluminium nipple on the return water hose on both engines (N54 & N52) - on my daughter's X3 that nipple literally crumbled in my hands and the O-ring came out like 2 sizes bigger.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0