View Single Post
      03-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #65
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
There are a few youtube clips of the x3 on three rollers with only one wheel having traction. The car pulls away OK, A little harder for the Audi and MB... but then again it is a marketing tool.
I am wondering what the implication is of it being a marketing tool. Is it wrong to demonstrate comparatively that your product can do something that others cannot? Were all of the videos rigged to show falsely that the X3 can do something that other luxury CUVs cannot? If a video as a marketing tool can't be trusted in making a purchasing decision then what can we trust? Or is it just impolite to demean a competitor in a video? As a past owner of three Audi Quattros and five BMWs, of which two were equipped with Xdrive, I pay close attention to both companies' marketing; I recall that very recently Audi commercials were crowing about how painful it must be for BMW to be number 2 to their number 1, by a very slim margin, in a couple of car magazine comparative tests.

From my own off- and on-road experience of several years in an International Scout, a compact true 4WD SUV, almost 40 years ago and six months on-road currently in an X3, I don't have to think twice to conclude that the X3 is far superior on-road; extrapolating from its suspension design I suspect that it would be better off-road as well. I would be very interested to see a direct on- and off-road comparison test between the the X3 and Evoque as well as long-term reliability and durability tests.
Appreciate 0