07-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #52
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkom View Post
Just tried the counter clockwise thing thinking the same thing, doesn't budge a mm either direction.
That's also my main concern for not having contacted them yet, them denying a claim for some arbitrary reason.

It seems like the best course of action is bring the engine in knowing well what the issue is, have them diagnose it themselves, and catch them lying if they claim that it's not the timing chain.

Edit: I'll send an email in anyway haha
They will know someone removed the cover and then all bets will be off, I mean its easy to see by looking at the bolts and surrounding area that someone has already had valve cover off. Provided your valve cover gasket is in good shape, I would reuse it and not put a new one on. Once you get the borescope, check all four cylinders. I've not seen you state whether you tried turning the engine with the plugs out or maybe I just missed it but when you pull the plugs to scope the cylinders, if you haven't already, try turning the engine again.

Also, did you determine that the tranny is indeed in Park? I recall you questioning that. I'd be giving the lawyers a call for guidance, they should be able to give you advice on how to approach BMW so as not to get the boot.
Appreciate 0