11-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #37
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Moved quote above into this thread...

Quote:
Urban fuel consumption (mpg) (cold) defined as: The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20oC to 30oC on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31mph (50 km/h), average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km).

Extra-urban fuel consumption (mpg) defined as: The extra-urban cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km).

Combined fuel consumption (mpg) defined as: The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two other parts of the fuel consumption test, Urban and Extra-urban cycles, weighted by the distance covered in each part.
Taken from:
http://www.savefuelsavemoney.co.uk/carsaveintro.htm

My comments on it from other thread
Quote:
Note in particular that average speed on extra urban is 39mph and this is all done on a rolling road with a drag coefficient applied to represent wind resistance. The same drag coefficient is applied to all cars as I understand it which, if true, isn't a fair reflection. Its mpg over 200 miles on a motorway at 70mph would be much more meaningful.

Would love to do a real life urban test to compare mpgs but don't know the full schedule

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0