View Single Post
      04-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #29
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Thanks again Kit. I installed the roof rails today on my wife's F25. Your DIY video was outstanding and made the process much quicker and easy. I had a friend helping also to make it enjoyable and efficient. Everything went well and came together nicely. Amazing how much easier the headliner was to reassemble vs disassemble.

Couple points to stress from the video: Will need a 13 mm deep socket and an extension for the socket wrench to fasten the roof rail from below. I found it also helpful to use an attachment for the socket that allows a little bit of a bend for working around that front airbag. A regular depth socket will not be long enough to allow for threading of the nut on the bolt. You did say this in the video but I missed it and had to make a run to the hardware store.

Also, I didnt have the "dental pick" that you had so I took a small Allen wrench and bent the tip down even past 90 degrees and it was helpful to grip this with a pliers to get enough force to remove the overhead handle grips.

Patience was key, not a lot of skill needed to do this now that the DIY video is there, just more tedious than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSoundLab View Post
That agrees with some other quotes I've seen on the web - more than $1000 labor plus the parts. You can do it yourself - just be patient! Something like the metal dental pick I showed is vital for the job - could be a small screwdriver that you bent in the vise to 90 degrees. You'll also need torx 25 and 15 (15 is a small one and sometimes not in the sets) and two rather small (but not jewelers) screwdrivers (to get into the overhead handle snap-in mechanism). The rest is regular tools. Don't forget to disconnect the battery when working around those air bags. Good luck!
Appreciate 0