01-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #33
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpe View Post
I agree that BMW drivers are probably more attentive than most, however I find it amazing that you would presume to be incapable of a lapse in concentration or a mistake. I consider myself an active driver, have run SOLO II (now just called Solo) for decades, estimate I have over a million miles under my belt and haven't had an accident since the 80's (knock on wood). I still wear my seatbelt. A close friend who I considered a better driver than myself (he was our priest AND an active EMT and volunteer fireman - seriously) fell asleep at the wheel one night after a late Mass and was killed. I'm sure that there wasn't anything he didn't already know, too.

My 335 has lane departure warning, but it also uses the same camera for the speed limit display, which is a very helpful feature that I'll miss on the X3. I also have the blind spot system even though I have my mirrors correctly adjusted and look every time. Please don't take it personally, but when I hear that someone deliberately avoids an available safety feature because they assume it's wasted on them, I just sigh, say a little prayer and wish them the best.
I only avoided it because I couldn't get it with M-Sport and CW packages.