View Single Post
      08-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
A fair point but when you're at the edge of your budget then the difference becomes just too much - and 99% of the time the 2.0d is perfect so for the 1% time its could not be justified.

I can't imagine how amazing the big petrol ones are - and how expensive they would be in this country to run.
Understand the budget is key to most car purchases, but the bigger engines make the vehicle, IMO. My son ran the E83 X3 2.0d, moved to an E83 3.0sd. Totally different feel to the X3 in every way, the 3.0sd feels in a different league to the 2.0d. Doesn't cost him much more to run, fuel is nearly the same, about 2mpg less.

As to the big petrol's, I drive a 535i, the N55 engine is a masterpiece. Comparing to a 520d.... there is no comparison. Even against the 3.0d engines, the petrol just feels so refined and at another level. I won't comment on the BMW V8 engines, other than say they just blow you away.

Personally I'd rather buy a used 'big engine' model than a new 4-pot model. Keep running costs per mile virtually the same, but put it in the tank rather than in depreciation. My E39 540i (new value £50k) cost less to run per mile over 4-years than my new E91 330d (£37k), again over a 4-year period.

Hence why getting into a nearly new 5-series 535i at a huge saving on its £60k list, and running at similar pence per mile costs as a new 520d.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0