View Single Post
      05-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I'm not sure that's entirely true as you have a Back button now that memorises where you've been on the iDrive menu system and there are also 8 favourite buttons that can be assigned to any sub menu function (e.g. dial a phone number or tune to a specific radio station) and the standard buttons for Tel, Nav, CD, Radio, as well as the buttons on the steering wheel and voice commands
Agree on this. I've never used an idrive before this week when I gave up a pretty low tech 2003 audi allroad for a high tech x3 35i. There IS a learning curve. Day one it seems incomprehensible - made worse because my CA was strangely incompetent using it. He was focused on the wonders of the voice command system but I hate voice commanding my car, makes me feel like a lunatic. Anyway, I've spent some time and attention becoming familiar with the functions now and I can see the logic in the design. I do like the dedicated buttons and the tactile feel of the idrive control. Before long I will not have to "think" at all to access the control I need.

It occurs to me however that when I occasionally loan my car to a family member I will will have to say DO NOT try to figure out the idrive system while you drive around town or you will crash the car!
Appreciate 0