Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by //Mike135i
Its good but they could have done better. The new 4 series is gorgeous and the side profile of this car looks as if they took the fender straight off the X3. and would bmw finally do away with that cheap black plastic body molding around the fenders/wheel wells!!!
The black molding is essential on suv's because of the salt/humidity which causes vehicles to rust. It is preventative AND i actually like tbe way it looks, makes the car look more durable
So many manufacturers have reduced or removed the black plastic on their vehicles, so why can't BMW do the same? Especially egregious is the black band on the rear bumper of the X3, but all of the non-M/M-Sport X models suffer. As a company who insists that they sell SAVs instead of SUVs, they shouldn't be the last to move beyond the dated and unnecessary obsession with the ugly black plastic trim.
the black trim serves to reduce the visual heft of the car, making it appear sleeker. if you've seen models like the x3 when the eventually paint the trim areas body color, the effect is quite drastic.
Appreciate 0