View Single Post
      03-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #28
Briant73
Rep
Drives: Highlander

While waiting for more details on the 2014 MY X3 and testing the sport seats (firmer but more seat depth) I test drove a 2.0t Audi Q5 and figure I'd share my thoughts :

Exterior: The Q5 is nice a looking vehicle though it doesn't speak to me like the X3 though looks are always subjective. The rear window which is small on the X3 seems even smaller on the Q5 where I feel the backup camera is almost required. Overall a clean design though maybe a bit too rounded for my tastes.

Interior - I found the front seats had a little more bottom cushion depth for the thigh support and I felt the driving position was good for me though the seat itself didn't seem as supportive. Overall the dash controls and displays seemed very well thought out except why is there an ashtray and the volume knob is next to the passenger? The cup holders are nice but to extend the armrest you cover them up. Rear seats were very nice and I felt ease of access and seat comfort beat the X3 but I don't plan on spending a lot of time in those. Rear cargo area seems smaller especially near the rear glass. My biggest grip is why does Audi force Nav to get the backup camera? Another minor thing I found not to my liking is the light grey rear view mirror color. Overall a good interior with the smaller rear cargo space being the biggest let down.

So right now the Audi actually is growing on me and though somethings aren't to my liking a lot of things are but time for the test drive -
Here is where I felt the X3 28i won out clearly - The Audi accelerated well but lacked the X3 in sport modes thrill when accelerating, The ride took bumps and road imperfections well and steering was easy but didn't feel as connected to the road or handle as well. The other factor which surprised me was how much road noise I heard while driving the Q5 compared to the X3.

I may test drive a 3.0t also though if I hear as much road noise as the 2.0t I probably will decide against it. Overall the Audi Q5 is a great vehicle and I can see why people go for it over the X3 but I can also see clearly why people prefer the X3 over the Q5.

As of now I like the X3 a lot but I worry about finding a comfortable driving position so I'm still debating. Also I am looking at the 2014 Jeep GC but it's almost apples to oranges comparison to the X3.
Appreciate 0