12-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I Lotus7 with the best of 'em, but to try and answer the OP's question: I use cruise control daily, and see no reason to disable it when going up or down hills - that is one of its key benefits. Nothing frustrates me more than being behind someone on an incline and they begin.... to.... slow... down.... because they are not using CC and can't maintain their speed. The only reason not to use it on hills would be if the grade is very steep and you don't want the CC using your kickdown. As for decending hills - it's great for that, and will even apply the brakes if they are needed.
It's less efficient over hills than carefully moderating your speed manually (i.e. slowing up the hill and allowing the car to accelerate down it). I am that annoying person on the incline! The BMW red/green marker that appears next to speedo to show your set CC speed and the way it moves around and changes from green to red when your speed changes is legendary

As for Lotus, if I'm ever fortunate enough to see his yellow Lotus Seven driving in Illinois (some of my in-laws are in Chicago so it could happen!) I'll flag him down and insist on buying him a drink

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0