View Single Post
      12-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I don't really use cruise control either since most of my driving is within the city.

I'm not sure how CC would affect going uphill but I believe cruise control only brakes the rear wheels when slowing or going down hill versus braking all 4 wheels when using the pedal. I would also think that if you use CC enough your rear brake pads and tires would wear out sooner than the front ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
In my current Toyota I have both Cruise & Speed Limiter. The latter is very much more useful in avoiding the 'Blue lights in the rear window' syndrome. I use it whenever I am in a 30 or 40mph limit.

However the X3 doesn't have a Speed Limiter so when my X3 arrives I shall have to get used to using Cruise again as my protection.

That said, I find using Cruise to avoid speeding effective. It is so easy to drive to fast in speed limited areas without realising.
I'm not sure if you're referring to active cruise control, the type that automatically slows down your car if there's a vehicle or object in front of your car or if you're talking about normal CC + a speed limit warning.

If you're referring to the latter the X3 does in fact come with the option to set a certain speed and an audible chime when you exceed that speed. You can set it somewhere in iDrive.
Appreciate 0