01-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30dMSport View Post
I picked up the car today and it is perfect. I tend to agree with you warmtoes because it did look "oily" so it may well be the "wax".

Having said that, Graeme at Mr Gloss in Moorabin, Victoria, Australia warned me today that the auto car washes are fine on every part of the BMW EXCEPT the high gloss shadowline finish. His explanation was because the shadowline is unlike the rest of the car because it has a type of powdercoat finish which is porous and therefore the strong detergents will destroy it over time.

It is such a problem that BMW were replacing the shadowline trims under warranty. Apparently BMW are now trying to fight those warranty claims because they do not warrant against damage from car washes and now they know it is a car wash issue only.

As Mr Gloss are one of the very best in Australia and preferred by BMW, as well as being one of the very few Lamborghini preferred repairers in Australia, I will tend to take their advice. So I would watch very carefully if you have the high gloss black shadowline trim.

Now I'm off to Falls Creek and the Bogong High Plains for some serious driving roads since I've been without Black Beauty for the past 2.5 months!
Interesting considering I believe the manual specifically states that the vehicle can be safely washed in touchless automatic systems.