View Single Post
      06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #2074
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Thank you - I really do like it!

Yeltzer - it wasn't me! Mine is an M Sport and nowhere near Jct 5 of the M5

Funny you should say that.... I don't often see many F25s. Then today, driving my own, I saw two difference M Sports within about 30 minutes (one white and one black).

First impressions (but only done about 25 miles around town a few times):
- Love the looks.
- Was getting worried about Carbon Black, but it IS a fab colour. I was worried that is might be "too blue", but it really isn't: it is black, but with more depth and a "hint of blue" (in the right light).
- Was getting worried if I had done the wrong thing going for Aluminium exterior trim and roof rails (which isn't very M Sport). I was wrong - the contrast works really well with the CB. The Saphire Black M Sport (with black trim and roof rails), that I saw today, looked rather "drab" in comparison (ok, mine was rather cleaner - may have helped!). The aluminium trim highlights the wheels and the back lights and makes the wheels look less "tiny" (I only have the 18"). I guess it is a "contrast" thing: the black trim and roof rails look brilliant on the White and Silver, but the aluminium do look very good on the darker colours.
- Love the M Sport trim (smooth, painted bodywork - no black plastic) even more than I thought I would. The car has lots of curves and angles that make it very attractive.
- Was worried that the 18" wheels looking small - well they don't.
- The X3 always looks better in the flesh, than in photos: you don't get a good impression of the size and pressence in photos...
- Love the Xenons - brilliant (espcially with CB).
- Love the comfort access (I have a toddler) and the power tailgate.
- Have been trialing the "start/stop" with my recent curtesy car (new 3 Series) and have got into the habit of automatically turning it off. Forgot once and think that the "restart" feels more "jarring" with the 2.0D (the 3 Series was a 2.8i petrol).
- Love the driving position (height) - I haven't had an SUV before.
- Loading and unloading toddler from his carseat in the back seat is a lot better for me (I am 5'4") than a saloon car.
- I am "adapting" to the 2.0D engine: at the moment it isn't a great comparison to the 2.8i in the 3 Series (not a huge surprise!). The gearbox also feels like it behaves differently with the 2.0D, than with the 2.8i: not sure if that is correct or just my perception. The 2.0D will be fine for what I need the car for (and I will get used to it), but I can see the attraction of a 3.0D.
- I need to be more "positive" with the brakes than with the 3 Series. I am guessing that is because of the added weight/momentum.
- Love the steering (went for the servotronic) - spot on: light, but not too light - very easy to drive.
- Have VDC. Haven't tested the various modes. I can't remember what the non-VDC X3 drove like, but like what I have with VDC.
- Love the parking sensors and the reversing camera: particularly useful in a fairly large car.
- Professional Satnav and all the online services look great (haven't had time to test them much).
- The M Sport steering wheel is taking some getting used to: I am not sure it is brilliant if you have small hands (looks like I do).
- Really like the dark headlining with teh black leather. You might think that it was all a bit dark (I don't have a sun roof), but it isn't - it looks very good.

So far, after a very short ownership, it is great car . Now praying it doesn't rain and spoil that "showroom finish"....

Yeltzer, thank you very much for the compliment for my house. We are actually looking to sell it

Have a brilliant day tomorrow. Yeltzer, and please post some photos and thoughts
Appreciate 0