Thread: Unbelieveable
View Single Post
      01-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #13
DrWatt
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Hmmm

Apparently from replies, there is some differences with how the vehicle should operate or does operate And many of you either did not read closely or you ignored the beginning of my last reply. I said...

"The person I talked to acknowledged that before the vehicle reaches full operating temperature, or if the ambient temperature is below 37F degrees, there can be problems."

BMW Corporate admits there can be problems due to outside and engine operating temperatures. You may not have been in the conditions I was in so your experience is very different.

Here is the information I have from the highest level of support. Unless you have spoken with a BMW person who has completed the "Genius" training, anyone you spoke to is lacking in knowledge. Over 50 years of buying experience has taught me that service advisors are not the sharpest blade in the bunch.

The information I have, from the top level of support, confirmed by the Genius trained person from my dealer who called to follow up with me this morning, is that the 2014 BMW X3 computer is designed and programmed to retain all of the driver settings when you shut down the vehicle. The next time you start it, it will automatically go back to those settings.

If any of you who replied had the service advisor make changes to the computer, obviously this may not be true for you. I know my service advisor was not familiar with this or he would not have suggested programming changes. They only do what they know and many don't know.

I could not disable the Auto Stop Start feature with the button because the computer kept reverting back to the previous settings. It kept reactivating the Auto feature although I had turned it off. Apparently the stop part of that feature is not the same as you actually hitting the start stop button on the dash.

Once I drove the vehicle long enough, it finally disengaged the feature when I shut it down with the feature disabled and all has been fine since. I was told The Genius program was rolled out and tested in Europe three years ago. BMW found it quite helpful, so they just rolled it out yesterday in the US.

My X3 acts exactly as they described it to me now. But as a caution, I will try to remember to turn off the vehicle with the Auto Stop Start mode disabled I don't want to have a problem again in cold weather that BMW admits is a contributory factor in operation of that feature.

I still suggest you find that Genius trained person at your dealer. You may have some difficulty identifying that person because it is a brand new program in The US. Most people at the dealer may not be aware of it yet. My contact at the dealer said I was officially her first customer and pledged her full support for any problem in the future.

She also anticipate taking on the role of delivery person. She said the sales people cannot keep up with all the changes constantly taking place. She said often sales people have the wrong information and give people incorrect answers to questions. I think we all have experienced that.

You may disagree with what I have written, but I am comfortable with the explanation I have from the top-level of support.
Appreciate 0