01-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Just had an X3 xDrive 2.0d auto for a test drive over the weekend. Had the car delivered in Slough but drove home to Leeds, so a good 200 mile+ journey. Slightly disappointed in the mpg over this long motorway drive - it managed just shy of 43mpg. My current Audi A5 1.8TFSI can do this so I was expecting more from a diesel. The demo car had all the toys on so I'm hoping these were a contributing factor (weight/power draw).

Still, the car drove fantastically, particularly as it peed it down. The X3 was far more stable than anything I've ever driven before. In the A5 I'd be terrified (literally) by puddles in the second overtaking lane but the X3 just smashed straight through them.

What has impressed me has been the around town mpg. I got about 38mpg on short journeys which is remarkable ... the A5 would get about 27-28mpg on the same trips.

The auto box on the X3 is superlative. I used to have an A3 with DSG which I thought was incredible but the new BMW auto box puts DSG to shame. I just wish there were "flappy paddles" on the steering wheel.
Thanks for the feedback. I currently own a '06 Golf GTI which barely gets above 34mpg on motorway drives so 43mpg for a bigger car is a godsend! You'd have to drive it pretty slowly on the motorway to get near 50mpg I think (relative to other cars not the official speed limit!) but I look forward to finding out.

I agree, 38mpg on short journeys is very good. Also enjoyed your description of smashing through puddles!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0