View Single Post
      10-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
I'm not sure if having an alternate set of wheels/tires is warranted...??? I live in Colorado in an area that gets more snow than the cities. I purchased the X3 to get the AWD vs my old 2 wheel RWD bimmer.

Since I don't have any experience with an X3 in the snow... is the X3 not a good snow vehicle?

I'm not blazing through fields or off roading, but many times the snow will not be plowed on our dirt road. My thought was the X3 would do just fine (without snow wheels/tires). All season tires sounded good to me.
All Season tires are fine for most people, I think the attraction to most of us in getting winter tires is because we want summer performance tires in the summer. So if you have to change them out in the winter you might as well get winter tires, which are much better than all season in snow and ice.

I am still going back and fourth as to even getting winter tires/wheels or just seeing how the all season do the first winter. My wife is accident prone though (3 in 3 years) and she is normally the one picking up my kids (2 1/2 and 8 months) from daycare, so I want the tires that will help her out the most

currently this is what I am thinking my options are:

1) do nothing, stick with the M wheels and 19" all season tires
2) get 18" wheels from tire rack for around $800, put on some winter run flats, discount tire by me will always match the price (I have to pay "shipping" and tax but get free rotation and seasonal switch outs for life).
then I would either keep all season on the 19" or see if the dealer will give me a performance tire swap out for $200 or something like that. Tire Rack might even work out a deal with me.
3) get 20" wheels with performance tires, use my 19" wheels for winter either with the all season or work out a deal to swap for winters...

TPMS is around $50 a wheel to add, plus $400 per summer 20" tire, and $1000 for the wheels, I am around $2800 for that option. 18" winter setup would cost me around $2300 plus the cost of swapping out the 19" all season for performance.
Appreciate 0