View Single Post
      06-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I am amazed how often conversations degrade into an issue with the country of manufacture. If you own enough BMWs over the years, you will realize it doesn't make a real difference. I have seen some real quality flops come out of the German plants as well as the American plants. Same goes for design or parts flaws -- the HPFP was a worldwide issue, and it didn't really matter where the car was assembled. BMWs have never had the greatest quality ratings.

I have a 2011 alpine white Z4 built in Regensburg, and the car has been perfect so far, and amazing. Here's a caulked seam in the gap between the driver's door and front fender:

Pretty ugly looking. I had to go hunting for this, as I never gave it a second thought before. I probably won't give it another thought past this point. It's an awesome car and a privilege to drive. It could shoot caulk out the tailpipes and I wouldn't care.

My advice to the OP: learn how to tell the difference between welds and caulk, be thankful they applied the caulk liberally when you have a solid body decades down the road, and enjoy your awesome new X3.
Appreciate 0