View Single Post
      03-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
Stephen H
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout View Post
Excellent. Have you ever driven a 30d? obviously i'll be going from 241bhp to 313bhp but are there many differences in driving characteristics? Also, whats the best mpg you see on a long motorway run? How do you find the VDC makes the car ride over uneven road surfaces? My 530d can also be very harsh and that's what made me choose it - it seems a best of both worlds option... Does the car always feel sure footed through corners? That's my biggest complaint with the 5 series, it's capable but doesn't sit as nicely in a corner as I like.

The only thing I'm really annoyed about is there is no adaptive cruise control option on the X3. I really wanted it!
I drove a X3 30d with standard suspension. The engine was great and it felt just a quick as my X5 40d. The standard suspension was good but after the X5 I wanted the adjustable to make the car better in all conditions. I have been well impressed with the VDC so far. Its great in comfort on our poor roads and handles brilliantly when in sport mode. Roll is significantly reduced. The 35d engine is a peach. It's got to be one of the best diesel engines available.

On a good run taking it easy I can get 41mpg. The X5 would struggle to get 30.

On your options remember you will lose the cubby hole under the steering wheel from the extended storage pack because you have speed limit info.
Appreciate 0