View Single Post
      11-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #36
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I've been chatting with one of the folks at Super Bringt LEDs. His response to my inquiry was a little bizarre. However, I don't think he fully understands how BMW's manage bulbs either and left me wondering as well.

He did say their LED products have the capability to dissipate about 5W of power allowing CAN-enabled systems to properly detect a good bulb was in place. However, he said it was tricky with turn signals where it would need to dissipate up to 21W and their bulbs would overheat and shorten their life. I responded back to him to get more details about that and awaiting his reply.

He commented that one of their flasher relays would take care of this, but only if a car already has these. As far as I know, no BMW has a separate flasher relay and have not had them in probably the last 10 years, right? It was my impressions that all of the lights (exception maybe for headlights) are driven directly by the computer.

So, I was concerned to see if anyone with these LED's was experiencing any heat problems whatsoever?

Also, does anyone know if the coding to disable those checks actually stop the check process itself (does NOT end the cold pulses for continuity), or just mask the error (keeps sending cold checks)?

Finally, coding is required to prevent errors and hyper-flahsing, correct? Again, just referring to the LED lights form Super Bright LEDs.