Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Hi all,

I'm still agonising on whether to get BMW nav in my future X3 or not.
BMW assist, apps, facebook, twitter etc. doesn't interest me, but the ability to send nav details from my pc to car does.
I've been trying out Google Chrome send to Phone, and I presume the BMW version uses the same technique.
With Chrome to phone, you find where you want to go to then click on the browse plug-in, which pushes it to my Android phone. I get an immediate phone pop up asking which app I want to use. i.e. google maps
The phone Google Navigation works if I select a destination only, not a complete route. It doesn't seem to like waypoints, just an end destination.

Can anyone detail how the BMW version works? Do you need to load an app, or browser plug-in?

I'm thinking that I can get by with my phone Nav, rather then getting built in Nav.

Thanks
It's basically the same method. I go to Google Maps and type in or select a location. Then I hit More/Send/car and select BMW. It sends it to BMW assist via my user ID (email address). It show up as a message on BMW assist, which I can then use as a destination on the navigation system.

I was trying to decide whether to keep using my Garmin Nuvi or get the Tech option. I'm glad that I went for the latter. I like the above feature, but the primary reasons are that the screen is much larger so I can see the route easily (in various different scales and perspectives) and the instructions are louder and more clear. (The Nuvi would have to speak over the radio).

I don't see how you can use a phone as a navigation since the screen is so small, but if it works for you, that's cool.

I would think twice about not getting BMW Apps. Facebook, Twitter are a waste, but WebRadio, Pandora (with full control) are worth it and there is the potential for more.

Cliff
Appreciate 0