Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
The Macan S and the X3 35i both have 3 liter engines. Somehow Porsche squeezes an extra 40 hp and an extra 39 lb ft of torque out of theirs without turbocharging. Those guys can do magic.

As far as the Macan S being faster though, it's only marginally faster according to the manufacturers' claims. Porsche puts the 0-60 mph time of the Macan S at 5.2 sec. BMW says the X3 35i will do it in 5.3 sec, and the X4 in 5.2 sec.
Actually the Macan S has a twin turbo 3 liter. The Macan Turbo has a 3.6L twin turbo. So nothing magical about the extra power. I've put a stage 1 tune/intake on my X3 and it adds about 50 hp and 60-70 lbs torque with 4.5 added boost; took 15 minutes to install; not magic, just up the boost and change some parameters.

In regards to the Macan S, I can't see spending $15-20k more for this thing as just because of newer/updated interior.

In terms of a .1 better 0-60, I'd say all of this is from the PDK tranny vs our standard 8 speed. They aren't going to be any faster than a 35i and very much slower than a mild tuned 35i.

The only upgrade for me would be the Macan Turbo, but that'll be $90-100k optioned out and that's crazy for a car that is on par performance wise with the GLA 45 amg that's only $60k pretty loaded.

Overall, to each their own, I'm sure original poster will enjoy his new ride and that's all that matters. Just not for me for that price/performance level.
To be clear, my readiness to pay more for the Macan comes from my experience of poor fit and finish and reliability with the X3. I by no means mean to say that the BMW is a bad car, but my experience has pointed me in a different direction. The Macan and the SQ5 boast better quality assemblage in my opinion--my X3 felt cheap (though still awesome to drive and look at) after a few months of ownership. It just wasn't a gamble I was willing to make for the third time in a row. I will no doubt miss the "essence of BMW." I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but maybe something about the driving position and switchgear that kept me with BMW for so long. But the Porsche will give me equal or greater performance with those quality touches I didn't have on the X3.
Appreciate 0