Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
If it is launching in 2012, then mules should be out and about right now. So, I'd expect to see them very soon if that is the actual timeframe for this vehicle.

I think this SUV will get an M-developed engine for sure. The 1M was a special case where they had a limited timeframe because the vehicle itself is very near the end of its lifespan. With the X3, they have a brand new product with 7 years left in it, and I think they will take their time and give it a proper M-blessed engine. A tri-turbo S55 based on the N55 sounds believable to me. Though the Valvetronic question remains, so they could go with an N54 based engine instead.

I'd say they will target an absolute minimum of 400hp, but I would not be surprised to see 430hp or so. This leaves some room to bump it up by 10% or so later on for the Z4 M and M3.
I agree with your horsepower ball-park estimate--- that sounds reasonable.

I do not think it will be based on the N55/N54 though. The N54 doesn't make any sense at this point--- it won't meet the emissions targets for the coming years. Sure they could rework it but IDK--- its an old platform. The N55 is more believable but even then I'm not so sure. I think we're about to witness the death of the inline 6 to be honest. A tri-turbo inline six doesn't make sense... there's a reason the turbos are in the "V" of the S63 instead of mounted down at the bottom like the N54/N55 and there would be little room for a 3rd turbo in the engine bay with an inline 6 configuration. The v6 would allow them to mount the engine further back allowing more room for intercoolers, oil coolers, and larger radiators. It just makes sense if the heritage is ignored *a tough pill to swallow*.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0