View Single Post
      03-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

In testing my iPhone on my X3, I was able to connect the phone using the Apple cable and it played music no problem. The cable only connects the data lines, so I figure this is what 6NF is all about. When I connect the BMW cable I was given, it tells me that the accessory I connected is not compatible with the iPhone. This to me means that the BMW cable contains internally some parts of the 6NF system - probably the DA converter and a bit of control logic. The cable is its own USB device, so it works as an interface from any iPhone into the BMW Audio system. The cradle is probably the same with one more capability (antenna) added. That means that the cables and cradles cannot be updated and are essentially similar to a docking speaker at home: it takes the audio out and controls the iPhone independently.
I wonder if 6NF also has something to do with the capability of reading data off a USB stick and transferring it into the Hard Drive. As this must be done from a different USB port located in the glove box maybe there is no relationship.
How's this for making things muddier?
And by the way congratulations M4st3r_ITA for the purchase, the Italian brochure was the first one out I could read. I still have it in my iPad.
Appreciate 0