View Single Post
      08-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #39
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
After about 3+ months of ownership, I am still very happy with the X3. I guess the OP's title of "what would you change..." was bound to become a wish list thread. I was thinking more along the lines of what I don't like as much about the design and what things don't seem to work right (or should work better, perhaps).

I find it hard to complain too much about visual and tactile design elements - because quite simply if these were that important and I didn't like them, I should never have purchased the vehicle. Sure, I thought the headlight design was an afterthought, but I saw it and bought one so I really can't whine. I'm okay with that, as well as some other things like the cheaper plastic in the lower door panels - doesn't bother me, and I have an E70 X5 for comparison.

Couple things that do bug me a bit:
1. I really don't know why they changed the design and location of the cruise control. It's not that I can't live with it, but my four other BMWs all had the CC stalk on the left of the column and it worked wonderfully. By moving it to the left of the steering wheel, they have not only forced non-new BMW owners to re-learn the functions, but they have robbed several steering wheel controls in the process.
2. If you have M-Sport, they should make the fasteners in the wheel wells body colored. The black fasteners against the white body color may look "industrial chic" to some, but are a bit tacky. There is also a section of unmasked white body showing through in the rear wheel wells that - again if you have white - is quite noticable and looks "unfinished".
3. Agree on the panorama sunroof observations, our previous E91 and our current E70 both have two panel function for the venting position. Nice for rear seat passengers.
4. Voice commands have changed significantly. I fully understand that as technology marches forward, things must change - but there is no reason they could not have maintained the previous voice commands, even if adding the new ones.
5. Connected Drive still has a long way to go. The iPhone app is unreliable. Hopefully this will improve as real developers add content and BMW stops trying to pretend that they understand the technology.
6. Agree about the LED brake and signal lights. This is an expected technology in a luxury brand in this price range.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0