View Single Post
      07-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Everyone keep in mind that the 2013 Q5 comes with a refresh and a tuned-down version of Audi's award-winning 3.0T engine. A diesel engine will also be available in the States, something BMW has failed to deliver promptly. They've apparently managed to give the car a nimbler feel, however slightly, and unfortunately--like BMW--are going the electric power steering route which is reportedly devoid of any feel. The X3 35i will still beat the Q5's new supercharged V-6 from a dynamic standpoint, but the Audi wins in terms of luxury, comfort, and overall refinement. The MMI is in its fourth generation, now sporting just four menu buttons and four corner buttons around the knob. Also worth noting is a fresher design, more interior colors, and as before, a luxury package including a leather wrapped instrument panel and door pulls and ventilated seats.

I know I sound like a brochure, but the idea of that Q5 is starting to sound more attractive against the X3, a car that is insubstantial beyond its sport seats and super-powerful engines. I was always annoyed when I heard people saying that the X3 isn't a BMW, but now I understand. It's not refined enough, it's not reliable enough, and it's not exciting enough.

I think the problem with the X3--and other BMW models as of late--is BMW's unwavering desire to cover all bases. This car was designed to come with as few compromises as possible, but what we end up with is an example of BMW spreading itself too thin.
Appreciate 0