View Single Post
      04-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Playing Vinyl on the X3...no iPhone/iPod

On long road trips in the X3 I wanted to have the ability to bring large amounts of music on external storage rather CD's. I had a new Western Digital EIDE 160 GB laptop HD that I wasn't using, so I purchased a cheap external case that uses USB as a power source. Since Windows 7 will not format a HD that big in FAT32 I downloaded a formatting program which did the trick. I spent hours going through my computer music to clean it up, making sure the tags and art work were good. Everything was compressed in wma or mp3 files. As a test I used vinyl LP recordings that I had done, since more manual work is involved to get everything right. I just dragged the files from "My Music" on the desktop to a "Music" Directory on the external HD. At the dealer today I plugged the external HD in the center console USB port. Went to the iDrive and choose external devices. The directories and files were recognized right away. When I played a song the art work appeared immediately. I should have, but I didn't check which sound system was installed or if navigation was on the car. I don't think it will matter either way. It was really easy to prep the HD and play.
Appreciate 0