05-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
If you are just comparing the X3 to the GLK, I totally agree, I thought you were saying all mercedes cars, the new C Class (and even old C Class) interior does not look like the GLK, the GLK is just horrible.
I'm not sure if the GLK interior is that bad, I wouldn't be suprised if it was; the ugly exterior was enough to repel me so I never took a look.

TBH I think mercedes interiors are quite good, not as well made as audi but good none the less. I actually like the the C & E class interiors more than the 3 & 5 series but different people have different tastes. As kmarei has said bmw pays a lot of attention to fine details and little things such as the positioning of the turn signal stalk, people always complained that the stalk was too low when I had the mercedes and would accidently hit the cruise control stalk above it.

I know bmw has a large emphasis on the driving experience and in doing so makes the interior very utilitarian, some people like this but I think they go a bit overboard. In substituting the lack of buttons bmw forces you to use the iDrive system and it's copious amount of menus, even worse lists don't save where you left off so if you exit it half way you have to start from the beginning. Sometimes it's nice to just push a physical button to get to the function you want or dial a number with actual keys. I also think mercedes does a better job with the keys on the steering wheel since you can actually go left & right and has not only a better looking instrument panel (the dials are sunken back) but better use of space since they put a screen in the middle of the speedometer which is wasted space in bmw and many cars.

PS: I was driving around dusk last night and noticed that the side mirriors aren't auto-dimming. It's funny how they are heated, lower when reversing, and electronically fold in but can't stop the blinding headlights from the guy in back of you.
Appreciate 0