shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Question - in relation to coding, what does having the software updated, i.e. the Service Bulletin update to eliminate throttle lag, do? Does it update the CAFD? Does it flash the ECU firmware? Something different?
Generally an SIB requiring a software update will specify a minimum Integration Level (I-Level). That I-Level "package" itself will contain a minimum firmware level for each ECU. When you bring your car in for the I-Level update, ISTA/P will initiate a "Measures Plan", which looks at each ECU's firmware, and updates only those ECU's without the minimum level required by the new I-Level. If your car's I-Level is fairly new, that could only be a couple ECU's. If the car's I-Level is a couple years old, it could be every ECU. If the firmware is updated, a corresponding updated CAFD will be needed to code the ECU's new firmware.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 08-31-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0