06-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #93
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge92 View Post
You should break-in the car by keeping the revs low and no crazy accelerations. Try fluctuating the revs so that it doesn't stay in one rev range while you drive all the way back to Seattle.
Warm up the car if you leave it overnight before you get straight onto the highway by driving around the block once or twice. I would even go as far as asking them to disable the Dinan tune for the first couple thousand miles.
Since owning/leasing 3 BMW's with practically zero miles, I always have (and will continue to do so) cut the recommended break in to half, which is usually 600 miles instead of 1200. I follow just like BMW says and like you mentioned above about the revs and the rpm. Then once 600 surpasses, I go in HARD, and start the "hard break-in" process which I believe seals the cylinders and their rings much tighter thus more combustion thus more silky power (only slightly of course). I do the hard break in for about 1000 miles, moderate to constant redlining. Get the engine very hot!! lol. Then after the 1000, you are good go. This is the best way to break in the engine....

Plus BMW (and other brands) redline the car right off the production line to make sure everything is tight and nothing breaks off the bat.

There are plenty of debates about break in, this is my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1