View Single Post
      04-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #43
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlM5 View Post
You guys do realize that this isn't a design flaw right? It is just how turbo cars are. BMW has done a lot to mitigate this side effect of turboing the car but it will still always be there somewhat at least. You guys should drive a car with a big single turbo then talk about lag.
This is not turbo lag. I've owned enough of them to know that it doesn't have to be this way. My '99 944T had terrible lag. There was no delay in throttle response, but it didn't make a lot of power until the rpm and boost came up. Our old PT Cruiser turbo didn't have this delay, but it did some turbo lag.

My 2002 330 was very similar in laggy throttle response off idle. At the time, I attributed it to the drive-by-wire throttle. I drove a friend's Z06 Vette, which was also DBW, but you'd never know it. It's all in the programming.

BMW knows how to do it right, though. I've owned a 2001 and 2011 M3s that felt very natural in response. I don't know why they have programmed the X3 to respond this way. Even my 2008 135i was better (also a turbo).

BTW, my X3 was a February 2012 build. I've learned to live with it by either taking off very gently, or if a quicker launch is needed, I left foot brake until the power starts to build. That technique seems a little smoother than using the auto-hold function.
Appreciate 0