View Single Post
      12-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
PeteX3MWhite
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35 M SPort

Got a 2013 3.5 with the M sport package 2 months ago. Regret not getting one with DHP, upgraded audio, or HUD. Do like the comfort access. Auto rear door is great. Wouldn't get one without the M package - the body colored trim of the M and the more aggressive front give the vehicle a sporty look.

Drove the competition you are looking at. I preferred the look of the XC60R but didn't like how it rode (and the seats were a little tight on my larger than it should be backside). I did like the electronic gizmos. Also on the downside, the Volvo depreciates rapidly (a CPO 2012 XC60R can be found for high $30's). The Audi felt slow and the interior too reminiscent of A4's of old, the styling too blobbish.

Truth be told, I had my mind set on the XC60R and was ready to buy one in the M+M blue color, when I drove the X3 on a lark (the BMW dealer was nearby). I was sold in a minute on the test drive in the X3 because the ride is better and the engine / 8 speed transmission felt smoother than the XC60R. There's a Polestar upgrade for the XC60R that is free that boosts the HP also. And the interior is nice. The seats, with contrasting colors, look great. I had a Volvo S80 and it was great, I'm a big fan of the cars.

It may be an illusion but the large console in the X3 (with the fine line wood) gives a sense that the interior is bigger than the other cars. Of course, my right leg rubs against it.

I'm getting tired of the stigma that the X3 is for wives / women. I had Boxster S a while back and people always had to point out that it wasn't a real Porsche. It gets annoying having to explain the car (no, it looks cool now, not like the old ones, its as big as the original X5, it has the same engine as the 335, etc).

I wouldn't consider an X1. It looks like an ugly station wagon. I'd go with a 3 series wagon with Xdrive over that or an Audi A3. Same goes for the GLK (ugly, looks like an old Subaru to me). If I went MB, the ML is the way to go. But it gets pricey when you option the vehicle properly. MB does offer a solid diesel too.
Appreciate 0