Thread: X3 or x5?
View Single Post
      07-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #37
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

[QUOTE=car_fan][QUOTE=juddholland;12266695]The X3 utilizes hard rubbers and plastics in a lot of places where AT LEAST soft touch plastics should be used. Leather is sparse. I should also have the option to wrap my X3's dash in leather, then, along with being allowed to order nicer, finer leather. I should also be allowed to order Adaptive Drive and soft close doors. It's things like that. The X5 is not only built much better, but you can make it so much nicer. I've driven an Audi Q5 with the luxury package and it's as nice as the Q7, if not nicer. Everything is screwed in under the same attention to detail and I have so much respect for that. I get the sense--from owning the American made BMWs--that BMW cares less about the entry level buyers. My car was $60,000, and it should be built to the expectation that comes with it.[/QUOTE=juddholland;12266695]

Q5 been there done that- I owned a Q5 Prestige SLine with all options..X3 is comparable interior wise. - Adaptive Drive is an Option on the X3 Perhaps at the time you ordered/took delivery you were not aware of its existence. The product Brochure lists it as an option(DHP). So you want soft close doors, then yes perhaps an X5 would be better for you. At least you have an Automatic hatch - correct? Q7 does nothing for me personally not impressed.

You should also note the fact that you have experienced issues with your X3, so perhaps you are biased based on the issues you experienced? Plain and simple I don't think BMW wanted to offer every option that is available on the X5 for the X3, as it would end it up being 70k fully loaded. Obviously not BMW's intention.

BTW: at least the F25 X3 uses aluminum for the front fenders. Cant say the same for the X5. Personally, I could have taken delivery of a 2013 X5 or X6- I didn't want the "old technology" so I passed.. F15 will be a different story, and I may consider an X5 again when it is released.[/QUOTE=car_fan]
I did order DHP. But DHP doesn't include adaptive anti-roll bars, which would dramatically decrease the amount of head toss that a narrow car with high center of gravity entails. In my opinion, DHP corrects only some of what makes the X3 an otherwise ponderous ride. It doesn't do much else. And forget about stability. You want a solid car? Buy an X5. Your family will thank you for it.

I didn't get an X5 because I live in a city and I don't need that much car. I try hard not to regret it because what else am I supposed to do about it? But if I had a family, I'd want my wife and kids to be in the biggest, heaviest thing out there.
Appreciate 0