06-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
F25er
Redline every time
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
So none of the manufacturers who have been offering stop/start technology have done any durability testing to establish wear and tear with the system before they introduced it to the consumer? So they have upgraded components on a whim, just adding expense to the vehicle cost because they felt like it? That they have no concerns about liability and warranty costs? All seems very naive to me.

If you don't trust that BMW did this work already then why did you buy a BMW in the first place? It's a bit late now to be complaining when you knew the vehicle you bought would have stop/start technology - you test drove it, right?
I bought a BMW because I have a love affair with BMW dating back 20 years. I admit my BMW bias and often find the nit picking that takes place on this forum rather annoying. I will likely never buy another brand for myself or my wife, does that clear it up?

That said, the issue I raised is a legitimate technical concern. Of course I understand BMW fully tests its products before production. My concern is that many manufacturers these days are scrambling to meet imposed efficiency standards by 2016. As such features like start/stop seem to be added to bring down the manufacturers overall consumption numbers.

How else does one explain a $150,000 Porsche 911 S including this feature? Or the fact Ferrari is planning a hybrid? What percentage of cars on the road are Ferraris? Will efficiency increases of Ferraris or Porsches have a meaningful global impact on greenhouse gases or pollution? Doubtful. Clearly these measures are taken to meet the upcoming "standards". Start/stop on a Porsche is utterly absurd.

This brings me to my point. Has tacking these features on to great vehicles really been thought through? Perhaps the default should have been off with the option to switch it on for those who love this technology. Furthermore I am not thrilled about the idea that 2013 is the first year the X3 sees this feature and I am the lucky guinea pig. As stated I love BMW and I also know that being an early adopter with this brand can bite you. Anyone that argues that their 2011 X3 is the same vehicle as a 2013 is dreaming. The issues are well documented on this forum i.e. throttle delay amongst many others. Most of those kinks are worked out now. Perhaps start/stop will be a great feature in 2015, but for the time being it is an obtrusive, unnecessary, disconcerting pain in the ass that may cause unnecessary engine and component wear particularly during the break in period.
Appreciate 0