03-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Hi Pete,

Steering and tracking felt fine to be honest, but something has felt wrong with the setup for a long time (I've posted before about it).

Pressures.. well based on the ones printed inside the door.. There seems to be a lot of varying views on ideal pressures for these horrible tyres......

They are 19's on a 3.0D M Sport, but I deleted the M Sport and went for the VDC
I note your comment on a steering clonk, any other strange driving characteristics?

Pressures on the door plate are not definitive, cover a range of use. Type of trips, how hard you drive, all affect the tyre wear patterns. Many find the minimum 'normal' pressures are just not high enough for typical use, causes edge wear. For example if you make a lot of short trips, the tyres will hardly ever reach the optimum working pressures, that results in running too low and rapid tyre wear. Running in the wet does very much the same, tyres stay cool, pressures are too low to run on the crown of the tyre. RFTs just exaggerate this reality.

Still can't understand both sides wearing, when one side is so bad as to knock the edge right off, do suspect pressure is at least partly involved.

Did you get a printout of the "before and after" geo' settings? If it was just a simple toe adjustment, I'm not at all sure I'd be happy with that, but want a full 4-wheel check to see what is really going on.

BTW, are you sure the tyre pressure gauge you use is accurate and reliable?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0