03-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Major uneven tyre wear on front wheels.. linked to steering rack issues?

My X3 fast approaches its first service, and I have a small list of things that need to be looked at.

Having replaced both of my rear tyres a few weeks back due to a puncture and the brand not being available, the fronts looked fine so I didn't replace them.

Was parked up last week with the steering turned hard right so the wheels were fully exposed, someone pointed out to me that on the inside edge of the tyre I had a load of nicely exposed wire.. same story on the other side, the inside edge of the tyre was totally destroyed.. then looking on the outer edge you could see it had worn on the edge, but not down to the wire.

Yet, in the centre of most of the tyre there was still 6mm left.. so clearly both fronts had worn evenly but mostly on the inside edge and on the outside.. this would suggest to me under inflation, but that was fine.

Yes, my fault for not checking the tyres properly before, and I was fooled by how much tread I had left in the centre part.. The tyres have done 15k so I am not not that bothered about replacing them.

The tyre shop basically said 'Wooooahh you have a severe tracking / alignment issue' which I had to agree with, so I had the tracking and alignment corrected when they changed the tyres.

The question tho, has anyone else seen this? is this simply an alignment issue, which with the state of our roads wouldn't surprise me, or is this related to something more serious?

When the power is off, and parked up, there is amazing play and clunking if you try and move the steering wheel, so there is (In my mind) something very wrong with the my steering setup (on the list for the dealer).
Appreciate 0