View Single Post
      08-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I personally like to keep mine a bit over what is stated on the inside door label. The Goodyear RFTs on our X3 have a max PSI of 51. It give a tiny bit more road feel and maybe offers a tiny bit of better MPG. Seems to offer even wear after 25,000 miles.

I agree that 2.0 seems really low assuming my math is right and 2.0 bar = 29 psi. I'd stick with 2.5 or even 2.75 if I had a long drive with 4 adults in the SUV or lots of gear. With 2.5 you'll have a slightly better turn in response so handling could feel a bit quicker. Ultimately though, I think you'd be safe either way. What does the actual tire sidewall say in regards to Max and Min pressures?

The only tried and true method for confirming what PSI works best for your tire is the chalk method. Basically chalk a nice thik line across the width of your tire. Go for a short drive and the you return you can see if the chalk wore off evenly or if there are low spots on your tires. Back in the day I did this when I was really motivated. Haven't done it in years though. I just keep the PSI above BMWs recommended PSI and below Goodyear's max PSI and haven't noticed any feathering or cupping of our rubber.
Appreciate 0