hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
TorkLift EcoHitch install

I installed a TorkLift EcoHitch and trailer wiring this weekend. The quality and fitment are top notch. I like the fact that you can get a 1.25" or 2" adapter, and that the adapter is removable for a stock appearance. Although I'll probably just leave it on. Another nice factor is that it allows you to keep the factory crash bumper. Most other solutions require removing it.

Installation was relatively straight forward using the supplied instructions from TorkLift. I ended up varying from the standard install so that I could mount a Hopkins 47185 Multi-Tow Adapter to the back of the hitch to keep things stealthy. The adapter offers 7-blade round RV-style or 4-pin flat connector options, 12V pass through, reverse light and trailer brake leads, the latter two of which I'm not currently using, but like having the option to connect later if I'll be towing an RV.

The Multi-Tow bracket ended up mounted to the back side of the hitch with a couple of shallow holes and screws. I could have perhaps tucked it up a little higher, but even with the receiver adapter removed, it's barely noticeable. The valence required a little extra trimming to accommodate the Multi-Tow.

The converter is a Tow Ready 119190 ModuLite HD Protector. I would have much preferred the factory tow module and it's vehicle integration, but at ten times the price, the Tow Ready is a far cheaper option. The e-trailer.com video was invaluable in wiring this item. https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...119190kit.aspx

Luckily, there was a plug on the passenger side in the battery compartment that was perfect for use as a grommet to pass the trailer wiring through. I ended up slotting it, cutting a hole in the middle, and sealing it all up with some sealant I had around. The ground post on the chassis was handy, as was the positive battery accessory post for electrical connections. I also used the ground under the stereo module mount for the converter's ring terminal (white wire) and mounted the converter with a low vibration synthetic fiber mounting material, aka a yellow microfiber cloth stuffed down behind the driver side storage compartment.

Attached Images

Last edited by hardparker; 11-01-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0