View Single Post
      05-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
iantm
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Bluetooth on 05 X3...

A few weeks ago, I bought myself a 2005 X3 3.0i, and am having issues getting the bluetooth working. I know that my car has bluetooth - the car has Code 0ZPP Premium package which includes BMW Assist (according to the brochure for the 2005 X3) - the buttons for assist are present by the sunroof switch, the module in the left rear corner of the car has a bluetooth passkey. According to the car's records - the Telematics Control Module was replaced in 2007. This is reflected by the module in the car having the brand Continental on the module instead of Motorola. (that changeover happened sometime in 2006 IIRC)

The problem I am encountering is that when I follow the instructions - the car never shows up as a discoverable bluetooth device. When I press the voice face or the R/T button on the steering wheel - nothing happens, there are no prompts on the radio. (I've paired phones with later model X3's, but not an 05...) Does my car need to have the cradle in the center console with the pairing button in order for the car to become discoverable? I've tried it with my iPhone 4s, work issued Blackberry Bold, and an old Motorola RAZR that I keep in a desk drawer - and none of these devices can see the car as a discoverable bluetooth device. (tried the Cingular/AT&T RAZR V3, as I know it was an approved phone and it's roughly the same vintage as the car)

Any guidance would be appreciated. I've tried the reset by unplugging the module and plugging it back in. I've verified that none of the fuses are blown (based on what the fuse block guide says for radio, telephone, etc.). I'm a bit lost here. (wish I still had access to GT1, ISTA) I'm not heart broken over it - i.e. not having functional bluetooth isn't devastating to me, but it would be nice to have. (I traded in my old Ford Focus in on this after 10 years)
Appreciate 0