05-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Yes all you need to steal ANY car with remote keys is a GBP 500 bit of kit which you can purchase online and which programmes "blank" keys and you can be up and running in 30 seconds.
To get access, thieves wait for you to be near the car when locking it. They jam the transponder signal with a radio jammer (another £300), so that the owner thinks that they have locked the car when they plip the key (when in reality they do not and usually do not realise) and then walk off. Thereafter, the car thief just needs to open the car door and plug in the computer to the on board computer port!!!
You should also be aware that you are more susceptible (IMO) to this if you have comfort access because thief 1 can follow you after you have locked your car, stand next to you in Tesco and then thief 2 waits by your car and relays your car's "I'm close enough to unlock" signal to thief 2. This is possible because for comfort access to work your key has to be active (it's passive without CA and you need to physically press the unlock button for the key to transmit - not so easy in Tesco when the key is in your pocket). This is potentially much harder to notice than dodgy guys standing nearby when you park and then lock *.

* I don't know exactly how it works but quite why an encryption system would be designed so that stealing the "lock" code would allow you to unlock later is completely beyond me. Stealing unlock, fair enough but that makes it harder in practice and if I designed the system I would make the unlock code expire after 30 seconds so it couldn't ever be re-used - no need to ever divulge the private encryption key either. If this is really the case, whoever designed it should be shot.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0