View Single Post
      01-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #47
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

My understanding of the Efficient Dynamics is that the alternator can be made to engage regardless of acceleration or deceleration if the battery charge goes below a pre-set level.

Two simple solutions:
1. Software change that leads to more agressive harvesting from the alternator for vehicles that have short trips registered very often. With the incredible amount of information stored in just the key fob, I am sure that this information is availalble to the ECU and that behaviour of ED could be made to accomodate different driving without stranding the owner.

2. Software change that leads to more agressive harvesting when temperatures are below some threshold like 0 degrees C or something. It is predictable when temperatures are this low that cold starts will occur and that more cranking amps are required from the battery. Easy change.

Obviously, the sacrifice of these two software changes is that some cars will see poorer fuel economy in real world conditions by up to 3%. Darn. Small price to pay to not have an unreliable battery system.

With all the engineering that goes into these cars and the testing in cooler climates, etc., there is no reason that fuel economy should be put ahead of not stranding the driver as a priority. Especially when it is pretty much as easy as writing some simple software to allow the car to adjust to specific conditions.
Appreciate 0